A Chief Engineer is required to work on a permanent role with my defence client based in Southampton.
Overview of the Chief Engineer Permanent
- Delegated by the Chief Engineer (Design Integrity) as the independent safety and technical authority for a set of products in the relevant LoB perimeter. Will accept delegated authority to certify product designs on behalf of the Board, including those contracted under the Regulatory Articles (DAOS) as necessary.
- Following appropriate training will accept delegated authority to act as "responsible person" for EU Declarations of Conformity.
- Ensure the Design Integrity of Products, either directly or by delegation to an individual independent of the project hierarchy and with the required skills. Monitor the engineering governance process to provide recommendations for corrective action.
- Work closely with the QA organisation and the LoB to ensure that the products are being developed in accordance with the mandated requirements of the Product Development Lifecycle, compliant with contractual and legal requirements, are tolerably safe, and are fit for purpose.
- Assure that any statement with respect to product compliance made on behalf of the Company, is independently verified.
- Support the LoB by providing advice and clarification in planning product compliance, acting as Design Review chair or assessor as appropriate and facilitating access and engagement with appropriate technical expertise. Work towards optimising solutions.
- Responsible for assisting in the approval, through a Competency Framework, of the System Design Authorities, Product Design Authorities and Design Review Chairs.
- Understand, for a sub-set of the Detectors and Land and Naval Product and Project Portfolio, the Design Approval Hierarchy for each product
- Work across LoB's as required.
Key skills required for the Chief Engineer
- A broad engineering background is required: ideally the individual must have a wide engineering knowledge base & some product knowledge.
- A sound knowledge of current relevant standards & in-house processes is required. Detailed knowledge of product safety & regulatory standards is desirable
- A Chartered Engineer, a Member or Fellow of a recognised Engineering or Science Professional body is desirable.
- Extensive experience of the development lifecycle of complex equipment, with a background in Engineering Management, is essential. An enthusiasm for engineering (not just technology) is also essential.
- Proactive with the stakeholders, & to be diplomatic while understanding of the respective pressures when dealing with conflicting demands. Firmness & clarity in decision making is very important. The ability to balance technical excellence against the needs of the business is essential.
- A high level of appreciation of the interaction of design, manufacturing, supply chain & support capabilities is essential.
If you are Chief Engineer looking for a new role either apply online or if would like to find out about other opportunities please contact Mark Ellis on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0161 694 9196.
Do you know anyone who might be looking for a new role? You could benefit from our candidate referral scheme. Contact me on the above contact details for more information.
Outsource. Our People. Your Success.
Outsource UK is one of the country's largest and most successful independent recruitment consultancies, specialising in the IT, Digital, Financial Services and Engineering sectors.
We recruit talented people for contract and permanent opportunities, offer a consultative approach and have a reputation for providing a superior service to both clients and candidates.
The business focuses on building long lasting relationships based on reliability and trust. We do this by hiring and retaining a great team of recruitment consultants who listen and understand our client's and candidate's needs.
Our Manchester office (which covers the whole of the UK) provides a "one-stop shop" to clients and candidates operating in the engineering and manufacturing sectors and, in addition to Engineers, we source and provide temporary/contract and permanent opportunities for IT, Programme Management and Support Professionals (including Procurement / Purchasing / Supply Chain, HR, Finance and Administrative Support).
Please visit our website www.outsource-uk.co.uk